November 6, 2015

What's For Supper?


Normally, I link up with Simcha Fisher but I didn't see it today. But this week I actually got myself together enough to plan the meals (actually two weeks ago, but I didn't get around to writing the post last week) so here we are.

Sunday: Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
Unfortunately, after running a gas oven for six hours on a day too chilly to leave the windows open, but too warm for the heat to come on, we learned a little about combustion and carbon monoxide. (Worry not, we opened all the windows and it dissipated in about five minutes. We're all fine.)

The recipe comes from Fine Cooking, and I highly recommend. Just make sure you leave your windows open if you have a gas oven.


Monday: Pulled Pork and Cornbread
Leftovers + Sweet Baby Ray's + cornbread could not get any simpler. I didn't carefully read the instructions for the cornbread, however. When the instructions say "cast iron pan or 8" cake pan," it means that a 12.5" cast iron pan is not the best choice. Oops.

Tuesday: Pizza
I know I make this a lot, but our dinner guest that evening always requests my pizza when he comes, and I am always more than happy to oblige.

Wednesday: Pork Ragu with Polenta
Courtesy of the Make Ahead Cook. This used up the last of the pork. Instead of using the America's Test Kitchen recipe for polenta, I made it in the crockpot with the Basic Polenta recipe from The Italian Slow Cooker. Two great cookbooks.

We thought it was delicious, but Sir Toddler had to be bribed to finish his bowl after he burned his mouth on the first bite. Live and learn.

Thursday: Mushroom Risotto
I threw this in the crockpot (The Italian Slow Cooker again) in the middle of the afternoon on a day where everything seemed to go wrong. I tried to make a "magic vanilla cake" that leaked all over the oven because the (British) recipe called for a 24 cm. pan and the closest thing I had was a springform pan. The home button on my phone stopped working, I tried to see if a restore from backup would work, and I wound up losing everything saved on my phone (thankfully I had put all of my pictures in iPhoto beforehand) because the new iOS is not compatible with the most current version of iTunes a six-year-old laptop running Snow Leopard can muster. And the home button is still not working. (Apple's helpful support told me that I fix all of my problems with a new laptop. NO.) I'm sorry, did I bore you? I bore me too sometimes.

In any case, the risotto came out fine but Sir Toddler refused to eat the rice after he picked out and ate the mushrooms. He may or may not have gotten on his parents' last nerves. Lady Infant devoured it. Mr. Husband came home with a bar of chocolate for me because he was sympathetic to my petty problems.

Friday: Grocery Store Carry Out
Mr Husband is coming home late and our fridge is getting to the point of "We really need to go to Market Basket" empty. We didn't have the time to make that drive today, so we went to Shaws and got some carry-out and ice cream. There is a special place in my heart for grocery store sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment