February 26, 2016

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I was updating the family calendar with doctor's appointments, rehearsals, concerts, and the like, and it occurred to me that we really only have a few weeks of winter left. For better or worse, the winter has gone by much faster than I anticipated due to many things, all good, bad, and ugly.

From top left, clockwise: ice on the inside of the front door, the worst day of winter, rags stuffed in the gap around the door on said day, and isn't New England wacky?


1.  I had an appendectomy.

Good: It's strange to think of the upside of having abdominal surgery, but apart from being sick it was kind of a vacation to be in the hospital for a little bit. Instead of keeping two needy toddlers alive, fed, and clean, I was just responsible for feeding myself meals and medications delivered to my room, and getting up to sloooowly draaaag my IV pole to the bathroom and for walks around the the floor. I'm also lucky that my appendix didn't rupture and I didn't have any complications from my surgery. After I was discharged, my mother-in-law watched the kids for two days, and my mom had already booked a flight up for Lady Infant's birthday so she was around the following week. We were also delivered fabulous dinners from many of my mom friends from playgroup, which helped tremendously.

Bad: Being sick is never fun, especially when you still have to take care of people besides yourself. Due to various factors, we had to switch Lady Infant entirely to cow's milk while I was in the hospital and recovering. She is doing great with it, but it hit home to me that her infanthood was really over and I'm still mourning it.

Ugly: Stabby pain in my abdomen every time I moved the wrong way. It's really hard to rest your abs. It made me very glad that I've never had to recover from a c-section birth, because I imagine the pain is a million times worse and lasts a million times longer with a bigger incision and a newborn to care for at the same time.

2. Mr. Husband started a new job.

Good: Many good things. He likes the work, the hours are more flexible so he can get home a full hour earlier, and he can work from home tow days a month. He's now working roughly the same travel time, but in the in the opposite direction from our apartment, so he drives instead of taking the train.

Bad/Ugly: Nothing, except that we had to buy a second car while I had appendicitis, and the added cost of having multiple vehicles.


3. Lady Infant turned one.

Good: Who wouldn't celebrate a whole year of this beautiful girl?

Bad: She's not a baby any more. *sob*

Ugly: My very sad attempt at a penguin cake. I think my mistake was trying to make the traditional penguin-in-a-tux design more feminine.

4. We visited my parents.

Good: We all had a great time escaping New England winter, the kids had a blast with their grandparents and aunts, and my mom flew down with us so I had some help on the flight.

Bad: I had to fly back without help, wah wah. I just fed them pretty much constantly for two hours and we made it.

Ugly: The kids decided that getting up before the sun was a perfectly acceptable thing to do for the entire trip. Also, everyone missed Mr. Husband, and I guess he missed us, too.



5. Music, music, and more music.

Good: Having some music commitments keeps my chops sharper, brings in money for the family, and is fun for me. I'm also being paid to play Holy Week masses at my parish for the first time (my playing on Sunday is volunteer, and provides lots of redemptive suffering for Mr. Husband while he wrestles the kids alone).

Bad: I still haven't trained my children to stop using my music stand as a jungle gym, so practicing while they're awake gets a little hairy.

Ugly: Waking up after late night commitments does not a fun mommy make. My first sitzprobe is on Wednesday for the next musical marathon, and the week after that I have a rehearsal or a show every night from Monday to Saturday for either the musical or my orchestra.

6. Cleaning our creepy basement. And the apartment.
Good: Since the only comfortable clothes for me after the surgery were from my maternity bin, it was a good chance for me to start KonMari-ing my clothes.

Bad: A lot of my clothes are on "probation" because they don't spark joy but I can't wear the same outfit every day.

Ugly: Books are next. Emptying our bookshelf with a book-page-ripping-happy one-year-old on the premises is going to be...interesting.

Happy Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment